Ok, well here we are in another COVID lock down. Like me you’re probably looking at things to do to keep your kids occupied while you “work from home”. I laugh every time I hear the phrase ‘work from home’! My hat is off to any parent who can pull this off with young kids interrupting every two and a half minutes! With my photography studio temporarily closed I thought I’d catch up on my editing and admin tasks… ummm yeah… with busy 4 and 5 year olds that’s just not going to happen. So I’ve resorted to finding ways to keep them occupied. I figure I’m not the only one struggling to occupy the kids and so I thought I’d help you out too by sharing with you the absolute BEST Playdough recipe in the world! Now I know that’s a big statement but this recipe handed down from my own mum really is the bee’s knees! It’s cheap, quick, easy with basic ingredients and it produces playdough with a smooth and soft texture that the kids will love.
What you will need:
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 cups of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 1/2 cups of boiling water
- *Optional* Food colourings (I find gel colourings work the best for vibrant colours)
How to make the ‘worlds best playdough’:
- Boil the kettle.
- In a large bowl add in the flour, salt, oil and cream of tar tar.
- Add the boiling water to bowl and mix the ingredients together. Be careful with this part, it makes the mixture extremely hot.
- When the mixture is cool enough to touch, kneed in to a smooth dough.
- Separate the dough into different batches and add different food colourings as desired and kneed well. ** Wear gloves and do this on a surface that won’t stain (where were you on that one mum LOL)! **
This playdough can be stored in the fridge for several weeks.
Enjoy and don’t forget to let me know what you think!
Stay safe Brisbane and I hope to see you when my studio re-opens after lock-down ends!
While you’re here, if you were wanting to know more about my maternity, newborn, cake smash or family photography session pricing, packages and products, all the information can be found here on my website.