How To Choose The Right Photographer For Your Family
Finding the right photographer for your family can be a daunting task.
It seems everyone these days has a camera and a willingness to jump into “business” and as a result the internet is now jam packed with “photographers” ready to sell their craft. But not all photographers are equal, not all images are created to the same standard and not all prices and packages are alike.
So how do you choose?
Obviously budget and affordability will play a key role in your decision making. However, i firmly believe that the decision should not be based on price alone. You have to love the end result, so find a photographer who’s work speaks to you. Who’s style, technique, editing and image quality you love. After all, these are pieces of art that you and your family will want framed and hanging on the walls. Heirlooms that will be looked at for generations. Don’t settle for someone who’s style and ability isn’t a match for the look your wanting. Your baby is only a newborn for a couple of weeks. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to get those gorgeous images you’ve seen and have always wanted.
Personality is another important factor when choosing your photographer. You need to be able to feel comfortable during your session. Find someone who you and your children can relate to and who will bring out those natural smiles and giggles. Someone not afraid to jump around, crawl on the ground and be generally silly to coax those stubborn smiles out of your little ones. By feeling at ease in front of the lens your images will have a more natural feel to them when it comes to expressions and posing.
Just as I have done, a professional photographer and legitimate business will have put certain measures in place to protect themselves and your family. Unfortunately there are many “photographers” who cut these corners.
SOME QUESTIONS YOU MAY LIKE TO CONSIDER ASKING:
Is the photographer registered (ABN and Business Name Registration) and fully insured with public liability insurance?
– Renee is fully insured and is a registered sole trader (ABN 48946913272) with the business name ‘Renee Jones Photography’ registered with ASIC.
Is the photographer a qualified professional who is bound by a code of conduct by the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers (AIPP)?
– Renee received her accreditation as a Certified Professional Photographer from the Australian Institute of Professional Photographers in 2020. For more information on the accreditation process and the benefits of choosing an AIPP certified photographer please visit her recent blog post – ‘Looking for a Photographer? Here’s why you should choose an AIPP accredited professional’.
If it’s important to you – Are they fully immunised to protect your babies health?
– Renee is fully vaccinated including the Whooping Cough booster, the current Flu vaccination and COVID-19 Vaccination and boosters.
Does the photographer have a dedicated studio space or are they working from a make shift set up in their lounge/dining room/garage…? If they are working in a makeshift area of their home, are you comfortable with that?
– Renee has a large beautiful purpose built studio for your comfort located in Morayfield. There is ample parking and it is wheel chair friendly. Click here to view a short video tour of the studio
Have they completed the Australian Department of Health’s ‘Infection Control – COVID 19 Training’ and have they implemented safety and hygiene policies to be COVID Safe whilst they work?
– Renee has completed this training and is compliant with the current government COVID Safe restrictions placed on businesses operating at this time. Strict hygiene and safety procedures have always been followed in her studio but additional policies have also been put in place on the advice of Work Safe Queensland and Queensland Health with regards to the current pandemic situation.
Does the photographer have quality equipment including cameras, lighting, props, editing software?
– Renee uses high quality Canon equipment and a pro lighting system to obtain beautiful soft lighting. Her beautiful props are sourced from around the world and thoroughly cleaned between sessions. She currently utilizes the services of a professional photo retoucher who she works closely with to perfect your final images.
Are they experienced in the safe handling and positioning newborn babies and do they know what signs to look for that a baby is distressed or may be at risk of harm? Are they first aid and CPR qualified?
– Renee has had extensive in person training with leaders in the field of newborn photography over many years. She has photographed hundreds of families since 2012 and continually studies to improve her knowledge in this area of baby and family photography. Renee has also held a current first aid and CPR qualification since 2001 including courses which specialize on infant first aid in addition to the regular first aid certificate.
Do they hold a current blue card or blue card exemption?
– Renee currently holds a blue card exemption (Contact us for further information)
Are parents and/or siblings included in the pricing or is that an additional cost?
– All of Renee’s newborn and maternity packages include sibling and parent photographs at no additional cost.
Are prints or albums included in the packages?
– Most packages contain the options of a matted Session Album or linen keepsake box containing 5″x7″ prints. Platinum packages include a lay flat printed ‘Boutique Album’ or a Premium printed Timber Keepsake box. Samples are available to view in the studio.